[Buildroot] Upgrading from Buildroot 0.10 to 2009.08 (ARM)

Joachim Pihl jpihl at nevion.com
Sat Nov 7 10:24:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:10:19 +0100, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Joachim> Doesn't look good to me, will revert to previous tool chain to
>  Joachim> have a look at what it says then. In the old buildroot, we had
>  Joachim> the threads library set to linuxthreads, but I have changed
>  Joachim> that to NPTL. Could that be the culprit?
>
> Yes, NTPL support in uclibc is still very much work in progress.

Just before I left work yesterday, I discovered that the uclibc .config
(inherited from previous project) had "use linuxthreads" set, while
buildroot had NPTL set. The mismatch here could be what we are looking for?

I would much prefer NPTL if it works, since our applications are heavily
multithreaded (for architecture clarity reasons, among other things), and
I suspect that some of the performance issues we have could be caused by
context switch/scheduling latency.

--
Joachim Pihl
Senior R&D Engineer