[Buildroot] Upgrading from Buildroot 0.10 to 2009.08 (ARM)

Joachim Pihl jpihl at nevion.com
Fri Nov 6 07:47:16 UTC 2009

Morning, all!

I had a look in the archives, but did not find any recent information that
seems to cover the problems I am experiencing.

About 18 months ago, we had our target build system configured by a
consultant. This is an Xscale target. We made the root FS fit in the
allotted space, just fine. Preparing to add a new controller card to our
product range, I decided to download a fresh Buildroot, then configure to
match the old setup (which has issues building on Ubuntu 9.04 or later,
possibly due to some package we have added). Busybox and uclibc config
files are copied from the previous buildroot environment.

As it turns out, the rootfs of this configuration is several MBs larger
than the previous one, mainly due to an explosion of shared libraries.

/usr/lib has a lot of glib*.so files that were not previously there, and
also iconv has been added. In addition, both libstd++.so.6.0.9 and
libstd++.so.6.0.10 are added. /usr/lib is now twice the size of that of
the previous target, meaning it won't fit on the target anymore. I believe
glib* are parts of GLIBC, how come it is installed when I am trying to
build a uclibc system?

I tried to prune the rootfs a bit to match the old target rootfs, but
after that NO applications built with the buildroot toolchain works. All
system utils work perfectly, but nothing I have written works. All apps,
whether a small simple C app or a large C++ app, die with a Segmentation
fault immediately, before reaching main(). GDB/GDBserver is not useful for
telling where the problem lies.

If anyone would like to help investigate the problem, I can send my
configuration files to you to see if you are able to recreate the
behaviour.

--
Joachim Pihl
Senior R&D Engineer