[Buildroot] User defined packages?

Markus Heidelberg markus.heidelberg at web.de
Tue Mar 31 19:08:58 UTC 2009

Lloyd Sargent, 31.03.2009:
> As a noob on this list, if there isn't already a way to add user
> defined packages, could I suggest the following?
>
> In package/Config.in add the following line:
>
> source "user_package/Config.in"
>
> In a new directory named "user_package" have a file called Config.in
> with the following:
>
> menu "User Packages"
> source "package/YourUserDefinedPackage/Config.in"

I guess you meant user_package/ here and not package/

> endmenu
>
> The advantage to this is that it allows users to add to their list of
> packages without affecting (or in anyway touching) the files within
> the "package" directory. And it gives noobs such as myself a feeling
> of security that they aren't messing up something important.

For a real feeling of security you should use a VCS.

I personally don't like the idea of a separate package directory.
Putting them into package/ only touches package/Config.in. You can add a
new 'menu "My Packages"' at the end of the file or wherever if you like,
this doesn't affect the official files much.

Markus