[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/scripts: test

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Sat Jan 24 16:45:26 UTC 2009

lör 2009-01-24 klockan 12:50 +0100 skrev Peter Korsgaard:

>  ulf> Author: ulf
>  ulf> Date: 2009-01-24 11:29:10 +0000 (Sat, 24 Jan 2009)
>  ulf> New Revision: 25005
>
>  ulf> Log:
>  ulf> Add test configuration but do not include it by default
>
>  ulf> Added:
>  ulf>    trunk/buildroot/scripts/test/
>  ulf>    trunk/buildroot/scripts/test/Config.in.test.buildall
>
> Come on, just keep it locally instead if it isn't used by BR.

You can say the same for all the defconfigs.
Buildroot does not use them unless you do a make *_defconfig

In the same way, a BR user will be able to do a test
of a specific board/architecture by running dedicated commands.

> What does this buy you compared to just having a .config with those
> things enabled?

It saves editing configs.
I can apply this to ANY board, without manual editing,
and there are a lot of boards/architectures.

By using several Config.in.test files, it is easy to
test a limited set of things for many architectures.

> Please discuss these things on the list first when you know they are
> controversive.

I already suggested this on the list and got no response.

What is the benefit of NOT having selftest included?

I have pointed out that so far we have no documentation
on what works and what does not work.
If the results of running these scripts are checked in
then we *have* documentation which is generated automatically.

Do you have ANY way of measuring the quality of Buildroot
before you do a release, or do you just plan to
tell everyone that we are creating a release
and then take the trunk and publish it a certain date
regardless of quality?

BR
Ulf Samuelsson