[Buildroot] How handle broken or partly broken packages in the distribution

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Fri Jan 23 12:44:32 UTC 2009

fre 2009-01-23 klockan 09:57 +0100 skrev Hans-Christian Egtvedt:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:07:33 +0100
> Ulf Samuelsson <ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com> wrote:
>
> <snipp list of packages>
>
> > I suggest we disable them using
> > 	depends on "BR2_avr32
> >

> I assume " was supposed to be !.

Of course.

> > so they are not selectable for AVR32 users
> >

> To make it harder to fix the problem with the packages?

No, I think the distribution should as a default only enable things
which actually has a slim change to build.

The svn should allow developers more freedom.

> It might also be a result from the development environment on your
> build machine, like the recent alsa-utils errors somebody else found on
> opensuse, which I have not triggered in my Ubuntu system.

True, but that was why I sent is as a suggestion.
These packages looks terminally broken to me for the AVR32.
If we know that they are broken then we should not expose
inexperienced firstcomers to Buildroot to them.

A package which depends on the build host should not be
disabled or at least not in this manner.

If we want more users/contributors, then the behaviour
should be perceived as stable, and we currently have
no mechanism to ensure stability.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson