[Buildroot] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!: at boot time

Gaye Abdoulaye Walsimou walsimou at walsimou.com
Thu Jan 22 17:20:31 UTC 2009

Gaye Abdoulaye Walsimou wrote:
> Hello list,
> I have worked with a mips (little endian) board for a while without
> troubles.
> Toolchain and tools components: uclibc-0.9.30, binutils-2.19,
> gcc-4.3.2,busybox-1.13.x from latest SVN buildroot (see
> buildroot.config, uclibc and busybox have default config from buildroot)
> Linux-2.6 latest linux-mips git repository.
> nfsroot for a the root filesystem
> All have worked well there are about 2 weeks.
> Two days ago I planed to upgrade linux and buildroot, and now I have a
> kernel panic (Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!).
> Linux seems to work well (see boot log attached), so I changed
> /sbin/init with this simple code:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main (int argc, char** argv)
> {
>    printf("Hello world\n");
>    while(1);
>    return 0;
> }
>
> If this code is compiled with mipsel-linux-gcc -o init -Wall -W
> init-test.c, I have the same result: kernel panic.
> And with mipsel-linux-gcc -o init -Wall -W -static init-test.c, I have
> my "Hello world".
> I can't figure out what this behavior shows.
>
> Can somebody can tell me where to start to investigate in order to
> know what's going on?
> Thanks for any comments.
> Regards

Hello list,

Nobody seems to be inspired by the issue I reported, anyway, another
similar[¹] issue leads me to change the toolchain and all works fine now.
toolchain: kernel header 2.6.27.10, gcc-4.2.4, binutils-2.19, uclibc-0.9.30
rootfs with busybox-1.13.2
linux-mips-2.6 git repository (checkout and pull today)

Regards

[1]: http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2009-January/025051.html