[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Steve Calfee nospamcalfee at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 19:22:45 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

Hi All,

I think this is a great plan.

I am a computer consultant and jump around to many jobs, most on Linux. I used buildroot sometime in 2004 or so, and someone else had already done the heavy lifting and had a released product. I needed to upgrade the kernel to something like 2.6.12 to get better USB support. I was completely blown away by the completeness of the buildroot concept. Everything is built including the compiler! Upgrading the BSP for the client and even adding a few apps/packages was great.

Recently I was talking with another potential client about doing a new product. I thought of trying buildroot again. I first tried to build a system based on some old motorola 823 hardware I had around. I couldn't even get the compiler to build without obscure missing files etc. So then I thought probably no one was using that processor so I decided to try what I thought was a well supported hardware, one of the Atmel at91.. arm systems. I could then build the toolchain, but the busybox/packages in the standard config would not build, so I gave up.

When starting a new embedded system it is very nice to be able to get a minimal system up and running and then add packages and features. Just getting Linux, Busybox and a file system working is an incredible hurdle. Having a release that is known to build and run is incredibly valuable. There are so many build environment gotcha's (ubuntu dash vs bash was one I remember), that knowing something should work really helps in finding the issues and fixing them.

Better docs would help. Even a buildroot newby wiki would help greatly.

So anyway Peter, if you are willing to take this huge effort on, great. Thank you.

Steve