[Buildroot] avr32 - directfb compile failure in release buildroot 2.3.0

David Brown david at westcontrol.com
Mon Jan 5 16:27:55 UTC 2009

I'm not sure if this is something that should be considered a buildroot
issue, a DirectFB issue, or an AVR32-specific issue.  Hopefully someone
will point me in the right direction if this is not a suitable mailing
list for this issue.

My build environment is buildroot 2.3.0 from Atmel, configured for the
AVR32 (with "make atstk1002_defconfig" and a few small changes).

Builds of DirectFB (version 1.2.6) are failing with an error message
that "PTHREAD_RECURSIVE_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP" is not defined (in
lib/direct/interface.c, amongst other files).  I've traced this to a
difference in the ./configure script and the actual compilation - the
./configure script defines the "_GNU_SOURCE" symbol before checking for
the "PTHREAD_RECURSIVE_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP" macro, and thus finds it
defined.  The actual library code does not define the "_GNU_SOURCE"
symbol (according to the changelog, this definition was in older
DirectFB versions, but has since been removed), and thus (via
<features.h> and <pthread.h>) "PTHREAD_RECURSIVE_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP"
is not defined during compilation.

I've got DirectFB to compile by adding a "#define _GNU_SOURCE 1" to the
start of "config.h", and now the DirectFB demo programs are compiled and
seem to be working.

mvh.,

David Brown
Norway.