[Buildroot] Buildroot 2009.02 released

Frank Hoeflich frankhoeflich at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 07:22:09 UTC 2009

Ulf:

>> Hi,
>>
>>  >> Some testing was certainly done, but more is ofcourse always welcome.
>>
>>  Ulf> I am not aware that anyone but myself has published any test results.
>>
>> I did for the toolchains, and for everything else I just fixed the
>> problems when I found any.
>>
>>  Ulf> There is no recommended way to publish test results.
>>  Ulf> No recommended format etc.
>>
>> Sure, like with all other issues - Add an issue to the tracker or mail
>> the list, both preferably with a patch.
>
>You REALLY dont get it , do you?
>
>If you for once stopped seeing Buildroot as a hobby
>and take the view of someone wanting to build
>a root file system without digging deep into
>the internals of Buildroot, then you would realize
>that Bugzilla is NOT the way this shoudl be communicated.

    OK, enough.  Ulf, I am asking you to stop taking this tone with Peter (and for that matter the rest of us).

    FWIW I agree with you (and more) that:
    1. Buildroot needs a real test plan for the new releases, and some method of
        distributing the test suite so that list members can contribute new individual tests as
        they see fit in order to fill out the BR test suite.
    2. Buildroot should meet its (reasonable) release test plan criteria before a release goes
        out the door, like any other software package worth its salt.  For now these could be
        pretty modest.
    3. Buildroot test results should be published and visible on the web and should cleanly
        hyperlink or otherwise refer back to test plan requirements.  Once the list agrees on a
        format for results it should be documented in the test plan.
    4. Buildroot test vectors should certainly include a reasonable selection of default
        configs, a representative set of architectures, host distributions and more.

    However, I do *not* agree that:
    1. Anyone active on this list is treating BR like a hobby.  Nor is it like a commercial
        product for which users may expect polished manuals and 24x7 support for their
        RTFM questions.  It's an open source project; users need to be willing and able to
        follow the list and/or query Bugzilla in order to check that something they're seeing is
        a known issue.
    2. Issues posted to Bugzilla are not `in a usable format'.  They are searchable, are
        capable of being well-documented, may contain descriptive attachments as needed
        and have adequate flags for prioritisation and status.
    3. BR development should be targeted toward users `without too much knowledge'.
        Such users can always hire an active developer as an interpreter/jungle guide.  Linux
        and most of the open source world do not lend themselves at all well to users without
        a reasonable amount of hands-on knowledge.  `Fixing' that would mean grinding a
        much larger axe, I think.
    4. All of the testing and documentation issues mentioned should have been addressed
        in Buildroot's first release in years.  If this release serves 80%+ of the BR public
        with workaroundable annoyance only pending a next release of better stability, it will
        have done its job.  Getting to metricatable quality may take quite some time.

    It may be that buildbot can nearly accommodate all of this now, or it may be that a good deal of further development is needed.

--Frank