[Buildroot] Easy Upgrade Path?

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:13:37 UTC 2009

Hi Dan

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Dan Pattison <dan.pattison at ethertek.ca> wrote:
> I've been getting used to the buildroot development environment using
> 2009.02-RC2 for ARM AT91SAM9g20-EK. I have made lots of changes and
> additions that suit our project (config files, packages, etc.) We have
> successfully compiled and included some of our own programs.
>
> What is the recommended method to upgrade to the newest build environment so
> we don't have to re-do everything? Is this possible?

I don't know if there is any recommended way. None is documented, and
I guess each one does whatever they see best.

I had the same problem as you, and after some thought I decided the
best approach would be to "fork" from buildroot svn to my own private
svn server (svn export) and do my changes there. I've also added a
file upstream.rev which only contains the last revision from svn that
I have merged from upstream (svn diff -r last:current >
upstream-rev.patch && patch -p0 < upstream-rev.patch).

The downside is that svn diff patches doesn't remove files removed
from the repository, so you need to do that manually. This happens
most often were patches are stored. A simple diff can catch those then
you need to manually do svn rm in your repository.
My own packages (code I've developed) I've added to
package/mycompany/*, so, when I do a diff between buildroot checkout
and my repository, I can easily mask that.

Also, generic changes/development, I try to push upstream whenever
possible. This both benefits other users and also helps us keeping the
differences smaller, so merges with upstream are a bit easier.

This is far from a good solution, but has worked so far.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa