[Buildroot] gcc-error with latest buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Dec 26 21:18:55 UTC 2009

Hello,

First of all, could you please stop being aggressive and offensive ?

Le Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:58:06 -0600,
"Michael S. Zick" <minimod at morethan.org> a écrit :

> > (Note: of course this is something we should fix, but having gcc and
> > associated development files on the target is an unusual setup,
> > that's why it isn't widely tested)
> >

> Say what?
> How can you know that?

Because the feature has existed for years and until a few days/weeks
ago, no one reported the issue and no one stepped in to fix it. Which
means that no one was seriously using it.

> So unless you have some other means of tracking user submitted test
> reports how can you say that something is "not widely tested"?

Users facing issues are invited to report them in the bugzilla.
However, we cannot guarantee any specific response time, Buildroot is a
community effort. Bugs are fixed depending on developer
interest, availability and patches provided by other developers.

If you want guarantees, please contract a commercial support. I'd be
happy to provide one through the company I'm working for (Free
Electrons).

Please note that I'm not happy to see features broken in Buildroot and
I very much would like the gcc on target issue fixed. But this is not a
reason for being offensive.

Cheers,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.