[Buildroot] External toolchain: crosstool-NG instead of buildroot?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Dec 18 21:31:39 UTC 2009

Hello,

Le Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:00:28 +0000 (UTC),
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> a écrit :

> The buildroot docs recommends using crosstool-NG to generate
> external toolchains.
>
> Is there some reason one shouldn't or can't use a toolchain
> generated buildroot?

Theorically, Buildroot should work just as fine as Crosstool-NG for
generating toolchain.

In practive, my own *personal* feeling is that the Crosstool-NG
community is spending more time to improve this toolchain generation
tool than the Buildroot community spends on the toolchain part. I have
the impression that they do a better job at following new upstream
versions, integrating necessary patches, etc. But again, I have no
objective facts to validate these feelings.

Cheers,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.