[Buildroot] avahi dependencies on host tools

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Dec 16 19:26:18 UTC 2009

 Thomas> True, but on the other hand, the approach we've been following
 Thomas> since Buildroot maintenance has been taken over by Peter is
 Thomas> that we should only rely on "basic" tools on the host. That's
 Thomas> the reason why we build autoconf, automake, glib, pkg-config
 Thomas> and other stuff for the host as needed. It makes the
 Thomas> compilation process a little longer, but on the other hand, it
 Thomas> makes the build process a *lot* more predictable.

As always it is a tradeoff:

- How common (likely to be installed/available in dist) is the dependency?
- How big/difficult is it to build?
- Do we have specific version requirements?
- Do we need special patches (like we do for pkg-config)?

I would argue for us being able to rely on perl on the host (needed to
build the Linux kernel among many other things), but specific versions
of E.G. auto* is a lot harder.

Intltool is as you say just a perl script, so providing that ourselves
seems the best option.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard