[Buildroot] PXA270 and gcc-4.3.3 for iwMMXt

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Wed Apr 22 16:14:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:08:28AM -0700, Laine Walker-Avina wrote:
> I've been trying to build a busybox system with buildroot for a
> PXA270-based system. I tried to use the latest gcc version in svn to
> generate the kernel and rootfs, however when I try to run the system I
> can't login and it doesn't run any of the init scripts in init.d. I
> tried to chroot to the new rootfs from a previously built rootfs
> compiled for a armv4 arch and it gave me a "Illegal Instruction" error
> when trying to run ash. Most other commands from that busybox run
> fine. And ash runs fine if i don't do the chroot and use the shared
> libs from the other rootfs. Any thoughts?

Check that your kernel and toolchain binaries are both built for EABI
and check for the following entries in your busybox .config:

BR2_iwmmxt=y
BR2_ARM_TYPE="ARM_IWMMXT"
# BR2_ARM_OABI is not set
BR2_ARM_EABI=y
BR2_ARCH="arm"
BR2_ENDIAN="LITTLE"
BR2_GCC_TARGET_TUNE="iwmmxt"
BR2_GCC_TARGET_ARCH="iwmmxt"
BR2_GCC_TARGET_ABI="aapcs-linux"

What you describe to see is very likely that kind of problem, we had
that many times already. The above settings should do well, though.

Daniel