[Buildroot] How to incorporate linux kernel patch correctly

Will Moore will.moore at beran.co.uk
Wed Apr 22 15:32:54 UTC 2009

Is there a buildroot user mail list where I might get assistance but not
disturb the developers?  I looked but could not find so, apologies ...

I am using buildroot 2009.02 release and have successfully produced a linux
kernel, rootfs and cross tool kit for a 486 SX PC104 PC104 CPU.  I need to
apply a patch to the 2.6.24 kernel and have initially used a kernel .config
provided by the PC104 manufacturer which I did by manually applying the
patch in project_build_486/uclibc/linux-2.6.24 and copying the kernel
.config there too.  I can see that there is support in the buildroot menu
Kernel->Patches for Additional patch to apply (from $(DL_DIR)) but when I
put the kernel patch file in /dl and entered the filename in the menu
configuration buildroot complained:

Make: *** No rule to make target 'patch-2.4.6-DMP', needed by
'../project_build_i486/uclibc/linux-2.6.24/.patched'.  Stop.

Your assistance to better understand how to get buildroot to automatically
apply a kernel patch would be appreciated.

Regards

Will