[Buildroot] /dev files not being created correctly

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Apr 15 05:39:07 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Fisher <fobs12 at ymail.com> writes:

 Mark> Hi,

 Mark> I'm relatively new to buildroot and am using the 2009.02
 Mark> release of buildroot on a Fedora 9 platform and targeting an
 Mark> embedded device with an Intel Atom processor.

 Mark> When the root filesystem is built the types of the files are
 Mark> all set to plain text files. So for instance the /dev/console
 Mark> is not set to be a character device. This has already create
 Mark> problems when I try to boot because the console could not be
 Mark> opened. I manually fixed /dev/console and /dev/null. I'm still
 Mark> having trouble booting the image and also after a re-build my
 Mark> custom changes were lost.

You shouldn't use the project_build_arm/*/root directory to boot from
NFS. The /dev entries are normal files as we don't want to require
root rights while building. Instead create a tarball (target
filesystem options->tar the root filesystem) and extract that (found
under binaries/) as root on your nfs server.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard