[Buildroot] losetup /dev/loop0: No such device or address

Mike Sander msander at cogeco.ca
Thu Apr 9 13:37:08 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Im using buildroot-2009.02 on atmel at91sam9g20ek.  It is a fairly stock
cofiguration.

When I execute "losetup /dev/loop0 /mnt/flash/backing_file.vfat" i get
the error "losetup /dev/loop0: No such device or address".    /mnt/flash
exist and has a mounted jffs2 filesystem on it.As far as I can tell, it
is working correctly.  I can read/write files. I have checked all the
obvious suspects (including erroneous error message)

here is the output from mount
# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock2 on /mnt/flash type jffs2 (rw)

looks like a valid mounted filesystem.

# ls /mnt/flash
backing_file.vfat  hosts

the file I am trying to connect to loop0 definately exists.  I copied
/etc/hosts to it to verify read/write operation.

here are the /dev/loop* devices
# ls -atl loop*
brw-r-----    1 root     root       7,   0 Dec 31 17:00 loop0
brw-r-----    1 root     root       7,   1 Dec 31 17:00 loop1

/dev/loop0 definitely exists and appears to be correctly defined (I think).

Anyone aware of issues using losetup?   Is there some obscure dependency
I might be missing.  any suggestions on how to debug this short of
printf() from losetup code?

Regards,

mike