[Buildroot] u-boot fails with custom board support

Mike Sander msander at cogeco.ca
Wed Apr 8 17:18:48 UTC 2009

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> mike sander skrev:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I'm using buildroot-2009.02. I have a custom board based on atmel
>> at91sam9g20. I have created a top level board config.
>>
>> I invoke make as follows:
>>
>> make BOARD=xx
>>

> The normal way of using buildroot is to do:
>
> $ make at91sam9g20ek_defconfig
> $ make
>
> If you do any modifications to any the configs (busybox, linux, .config
> etc.)
> you can do:
>
> $ make saveconfig
>
> which will copy all your configs to $(LOCAL)/$(PROJECT)
> It will also update the .config file so that it will use
> your updated config files instead of the default.
>
> You can then retrieve this by making:
> $ make BOARD=<PROJECT> getconfig
> I.E:
> $ make BOARD=at91sam9g20-mike getconfig
>
> which will fetch the new config file into the top directory of buildroot
>
> You then type
> $ make
> to build the project

Thank You.  It appears I was doing it wrong.    I did the "make
BOARD=<PROJECT> getconfig ; make" and it worked as expected..

To be honest, the documentation is a bit vague (IMHO).

I understood "make BOARD=<project>" to be the mechanism to build for a
specific project.   This does work, except for u-boot.    The getconfig
is used if you want to modify the configuration (prior to another
saveconfig).   What then is the use of "make BOARD=<project>"?

<quote>

Once a package has been unpacked, it is possible to manually update
configuration files. Buildroot can automatically save the configuration
of buildroot, linux, busybox, uclibc and u-boot in "local/$(PROJECT) by
using the command:

 $ make saveconfig

Once a buildroot configuration has been created by saveconfig, the
default "$(TOPDIR)/.config" file can be overridden by

 $ make BOARD=<project>

Buildroot will then use "local/<project>/<project>.config" instead of
".config".

If you want to modify your board, you can copy the project configuration
file to ".config" by using the command:

 $ make BOARD=<project> getconfig

</end quote>

Could I propose the following wording:

Once a package has been unpacked, it is possible to manually update
configuration files. Buildroot can automatically save the configuration
of buildroot, linux, busybox, uclibc and u-boot in "local/$(PROJECT) by
using the command:

 $ make saveconfig

If you want to modify your board, you can copy the project configuration
file to ".config" by using the command:

 $ make BOARD=<project> getconfig
 <make changes to configuration>
 $ make saveconfig

To build your board:
 $ make BOARD=<project> getconfig
 $ make

Once again, thanks for you assistance.   If you find this proposed
wording better, can you make changes or should I submit a bug report?

Regards,

Mike