[Buildroot] My 'login exited' problem: New informaton!

Steven Woody narkewoody at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:55:48 UTC 2008

Now, I choiced to build busybox as static version.  then I copy it out
from project_build_arm/uclibc/root/bin and put it into my usb disc.
Because I have a running rootfs given by my vendor. So I can test if
the buildroot generated 'busybox' is sane.  I then copy this big
'busybox' into a directory, say /tmp.  In the running arm box, I go
test the newly generated busybox using following method:

# cd /tmp
# ./busybox ls   (ok)
# ./busybox login root (ok!)
# ln -s busybox getty
# ./getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100 (OK again!)

So I think, this static version of 'busybox' generated by buildroot
works.   But because the rootfs generated by buildroot does not work,
so I was thinking: how about if I use this 'busybox' to replace my
working 'busybox' binary to create a new rootfs.  I guss this new
rootfs should work, since:

1. the original rootfs works
2. the new busybox binary works when run it standalone in the original rootfs.
3, what I did is just use the new busybox to replace the /bin/busybox,
I think this changes nothing.

But, after burned in the new rootfs and rebooted, I found the 'getty'
get exited:

-------
process '/sbin/getty -L ttyS0  115200 vt100' (pid 189) exited.
Scheduling for restart.
starting pid 194, tty '': '/sbin/getty -L ttyS0  115200 vt100'
process '/sbin/getty -L ttyS0  115200 vt100' (pid 194) exited.
Scheduling for restart.
starting pid 195, tty '': '/sbin/getty -L ttyS0  115200 vt100'
--------

It does not work even if I use init=/bin/sh for this rootfs, I just
get nothing after kernel boots up and rootfs is loaded.

By these new information, can you experts help me more?  thanks.

-
narke