[Buildroot] AT91SAM9G20 support?

hartleys hartleys at visionengravers.com
Thu Oct 30 19:27:44 UTC 2008

On Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:51 AM, suffecool at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Line 69 of target/device/Atmel/AT91_Config.in states that
> "Atmel AT91SAM9G20 ARM based systems" are not yet implemented.
>
> How difficult is this to do?  I am willing to give it a shot
> if it simply involves creating/tweaking some configuration files.
> We were using the 9260 dev board, but have recently switched to
> the newer 9G20 board.  However, when we push our 9260 kernel to
> the board and boot it with a 9G20-knowledgeable u-boot, it balks
> after uncompressing the kernel image with the following error:
>
> Uncompressing Linux......................done, booting the kernel.
> Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000658)
> Available machine support:
> ID (hex)     NAME
> 0000044b  Atmel AT91SAM9260-EK
> Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
>
> I initially thought this was a u-boot issue, but now I think it's
> just that buildroot does not yet know about 9G20 dev boards.
>
> Any direction/assistance would be appreciated.

It appears the problem is actually in your kernel.

U-boot passed a machine ID of (r1 = 0x00000658), which according to
arch/arm/tools/mach-types is:

at91sam9g20ek		MACH_AT91SAM9G20EK	AT91SAM9G20EK
1624

But the linux kernel you are trying to bring up says that the only
machine supported is:

Available machine support:
ID (hex)     NAME
0000044b  Atmel AT91SAM9260-EK

>From arch/arm/tools/mach-types:

at91sam9260ek		MACH_AT91SAM9260EK	AT91SAM9260EK
1099

It appears you have the 9G20 suppost in u-boot but still have a kernel
for the 9260.

Hartley