[Buildroot] Synchronisation of dependencies between Config.in and .mk files ?

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Oct 28 00:07:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Roberto A. Foglietta
<roberto.foglietta at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/10/27 Markus Heidelberg <markus.heidelberg at web.de>:
>> Thomas Petazzoni, 27.10.2008:

>>> Not really. Maybe the Config.in read by kconfig could be generated by
>>> the Makefile system. Either completely from the Makefiles, or from
>>> Config.in.tmp files, parsed and modified to contain the dependencies.
>>
>> When reading it from the Makefiles, you couldn't automatically decide whether
>> to use "select" or "depends on", because in the Makefile there is no
>> difference between them.
>
>  Reading/including only those .mk for which packages has been selected
> and the meaning became always: 'select'
>
>  I think the use of "depends on" in Config.in should be used ONLY when
> arch restrictions have been involved.
>
>  Example: I need nfs but nfs 'depends on' rpc... the first time in the
> menuconfig I will waste minutes to understand I have to select rpc in
> order to select nfs, why? If I want a cold beer I ask for a cold beer.
> Why I have to ask "do you have the freezer pluged in", before? It is
> obvious that a freezer is needed for a cold beer but it is not obvious
> asking for a freezer when you are looking for a beer.

However, IIRC "select" in Kconfig is dangerous because it completely
overrides the dependencies on the option being force selected.  There
are technical issues with select and it must be used with caution.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.