[Buildroot] [RFC] Avoid make distclean to remove packages fromrootfs

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 12:48:31 UTC 2008

2008/10/22 John Schimandle <john_schimandle at hotmail.com>:
> I perform the following steps to rebuild the rootfs. It's fast and easy.
>
> rm project_build_ARCH/PROJECT/.root
> rm -rf project_build_ARCH/PROJECT/root
>
> Once these steps are done then the next make will copy in a clean skeleton
> template and all the other Makefiles will notice the install targets are
> missing and they will install all the targets. This is the cleanest and
> fastest method I have found because this only copies files.
>
> Maybe this should be added to the top level Makefile.

I have just tried this way but it installs only skeleton, dbus,
mcookie, busybox, kernel modules, kernel (in case), uClibc, some
libraries (expat, drm, dbus, png, z), rxvt:

roberto at rafbook:~/gles/buildroot$ du -ks project_build_i586/ugles/root
44680	project_build_i586/ugles/root

roberto at rafbook:~/gles/buildroot$ mv -f project_build_i586/ugles/root
project_build_i586/ugles/root.002
roberto at rafbook:~/gles/buildroot$ rm -f project_build_i586/ugles/.root
roberto at rafbook:~/gles/buildroot$ make
[...]
roberto at rafbook:~/gles/buildroot$ du -ks project_build_i586/ugles/root
6676	project_build_i586/ugles/root

However it does not resolve the problem to remove ONLY a package from
customized rootfs or reset some kernel config parameters back (i.e.:
bug report 5564).

 Cheers,
--
/roberto