[Buildroot] Both cramfs + jffs2 in buildroot?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Oct 9 00:42:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 02:52:20PM +0200, Daniel Nyström wrote:
> (Sorry if this has been a topic earlier, but it's really hard to search
> the mailing archive)
>
> Is it possible in Buildroot to make both a read-only rootfs and a second
> writable filesystem?
>
> A common setup is using cramfs for / and mounting a jffs2 on /mnt/flash,
> and then make a symlink of /etc to point at /mnt/flash/etc where all
> config files are writable.
>
> Is this possible to achive with Buildroot?

No, there's no support for building two file systems with different
contents.

There might be better ways to handle this anyway, like copying /etc from
the cramfs to the rw jffs2 on the first bootup?

With regard to mounting /mnt/flash/etc onto /etc, I don't think a
symlink will work - you need to use/run stuff from /etc before the
second file system can be mounted. I suggest a minimal /etc in the root,
enough to get the other file system mounted, and then "mount --bind" the
new /etc over the top.

Hamish