[Buildroot] Bootloaders

Jason Valenzuela jvalenzuela at dspfl.com
Tue May 20 17:45:53 UTC 2008

Arun Reddy wrote:

> I am new to Buildroot as well. I have successfully created an x86 target
> with Grub as the bootloader. I was wondering if the error you're getting
> says something about not being able to resolve the debian ftp site? Are
> you able to even download grub from the correct repository first? I just
> want to know if it's a compiling problem or a problem with retrieving
> grub. If it's the latter than the problem lies within the actual
> Makefile, in that the repository is broken and you need to change the
> path for your development system to go grab it from.

Ok so the buildroot make process it trying to pull a .diff from the
debian site that doesn't exist. I found that this is a known problem in
buildroot's bug tracking system. I tried two things, first I found the
actual .diff elsewhere, downloaded it into the dl directory and tried a
make. That crashes with complaints about uClibc being built without
large file support. Enabling large file support in uClibc's make
menuconfig also doesn't build.

Next I tried to modify the grub.mk so that it downloads a slightly newer
.diff from the debian site. Was a real long shot and of course didn't
work either.

So now I'm trying to simply build grub on my host system and see if I
can go from there.

Jason Valenzuela