[Buildroot] link to busybox

Christian SCHWARZ christian.schwarz at st.com
Wed May 7 07:15:35 UTC 2008

Hi Tiju,

I believe root filesystems are not an exact science, thus I can only
provide you with some generic stuff, which mostly works.
For me, a simple device layout like the following (using busybox or
buildroot) works on several different embedded platforms:

mknod initrd b 1 250
mknod console c 5 1
mknod mem c 1 1
mknod null c 1 3
mknod ram1 b 1 1
mknod ttyAM0 c 204 16
mknod ram0 b 1 0
ln -s ram1 ram
ln -s ram0 ramdisk

In your case you'd probably replace ttyAM0 with ttySAC0..

> I am very new to this. Could you please tell me how to modify these files to my requirement or atleast the links from where I will get more information regarding this?
Even though this is the buildroot mailing list, I would recommend to
first try a rootfs with only busybox, thus without buildroot. You can
easily use the buildroot-generated cross-compiling toolchain with busybox..
  make CROSS_COMPILE=<xtoolchain-prefix> all install

The rc.S file is not required by busybox, it makes some smart assumptions.

hope this helps,
Christian