[Buildroot] Ulf, you broke AVR32, why?

Arnar Mar Sig antab at valka.is
Tue May 6 13:23:37 UTC 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

>>> The Atmel patches adds way too much bloat to the svn.
>>
>> Google's entire svn history has 3Mb, including the AVR32 patches plus
>> careless local svn mv's. How is that too much bloat?
>>

> The AVR32 patches are larger than that, just for one version.
> Adding patches for several versions of the toolchain will make this
> worse.

antab at imbakassi:~/v100sc2$ du -sch buildroot-upstream/
131M	buildroot-upstream/

antab at imbakassi:~/v100sc2/buildroot-fork/toolchain/gcc$ du -ch 4.2.2/
*avr32*
900K	4.2.2/900-gcc-4.2.2.atmel.1.0.8.patch.avr32
4.0K	4.2.2/901-avr32-no-cond-exec-before-reload-by-default.patch.avr32
904K	total

Thats under 1MB for one version, and thous patches dont change that
often. I dont mind that patches are removed for old toolchains, but
IMO they should not be removed. It pisses me alot more to have to
download a 43MB with the prepatched toolchain source from a dead slow
server every time its updated.
I also build for x86 and now i have to keep and download source for 2
toolchains, thats 86MB while it could have been 44MB...

>> You didn't even care to test your changes, and despite protests
>> removed the toolchain support anyway. You are taking away our freedom
>> to update, fix, do whatever with the toolchain from within buildroot.
>
> If you check above, you see it is not like that.
> You can modify the external toolchain by applying patches,
> so you have the freedom you want.
>
> If you can find another host where the stuff can be located
> then it is easy to move it. I just put it on that server for
> convenience
> and I see only drawbacks that it cannot be updated by other
> members of the buildroot community.

I'm can donate a server for storing thous patches, could be setup up
as a SVN repo so members can easy add to it (and keeping track of
everything), and then a script that checks that stuff out and makes it
accessable via FTP and HTTP at the same site.

Greets
	Arnar mar Sig