[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/toolchain/external-toolchain

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Jun 17 14:55:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

 >> So they all put libraries / headers in the same staging_dir? Doesn't
 >> that give problems with packages detecting optional stuff at compile
 >> time that might not be available for a specific variant (E.G. one
 >> variant has expat, and another doesn't - Some configure script checks
 >> for expat and finds it in staging_dir even though it isn't going to be
 >> there at runtime).
 >>
 >> The same with the packages offering different versions.
 >>
 >> I think a more common setup would be to install the toolchain
 >> somewhere common (/opt/<whatever>) and then have multiple boards using
 >> the same toolchain/c library but potentially different set of
 >> packages(-versions) and their own staging_dir.

 Bernhard> If i understand correctly what you are talking about then this is
 Bernhard> exactly the purpose of that PROJECT thing, fwiw.

Me? No, the project stuff is (afaik atleast) just about compiling the
configurable packages under project_build_* instead of build_*, so you
can reuse a single working directory / staging_dir for multiple
projects. It has the same drawbacks as what I listed above.

It does sound pretty much what Hamish is doing though.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard