[Buildroot] Still no answer for a contribution -- "me too"

Knut-Håvard Aksnes kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu
Fri Jun 13 16:54:25 UTC 2008

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:07:42PM +0100, Will Newton wrote:
>
>> I must confess that has been my experience too. I tried asking Erik
>> for commit access but again, no response. Perhaps he is working on
>> other projects?
>>

> I think anyone wanting write access should send some patches here first
> for review. I guess you already did this -- I don't recall sorry.
>
> Personally even though I have commit access I think it is still good to
> discuss anything remotely controversial before committing it. Most
> changes (new packages, package updates) don't fall in that category of
> course.
>

>> It's a hard balance to strike, I don't think it's right to demand
>> anything of people on a volunteer led project but some of us have a
>> job to do and a limited amount of time to do it in.
>>

> Does your job require your changes to be committed to the master
> repository?
>
> Personally I am using buildroot in a commercial product for my day job.
> I am contributing everything that is relevant back to the buildroot
> repository, but we have some changes specific to our application and
> some proprietary packages which will never be merged. We don't expect to
> be able to build our whole product directly from the
> buildroot.uclibc.org repository.
>
> I'm committing my own changes back to the master repository where
> relevant, and I commit patches from this mailing list in areas that are
> relevant to me and where I think I can properly review them.
> Unfortunately I don't have company time to work on parts of buildroot
> that fall outside these categories.

I am in a similar situation to many of the other contributors to this
list. I am working as consultant mostly for a local customer. As long as
my bug reports and patches are related to
the product development I am doing I can spend some paid time for the
common good. My last project was porting of a customer specific firewall
from a RedHat derivative to a buildroot based platform. My current
project is an attempt to port firefox-3.0 to  DirectFB on a customer
specific card. The processor on this card is  a mipsel based "system on
a chip".

For both these projects parts of what I do is of general interest and
fixes should be done in buildroot, other parts are customer specific and
will probably of little interest for most other companies.

What's important for me is speed and quality :-)

Personally I would like to have subversion commit access to be able to
speed up obvious bug-fixes, but I will at the same time try to avoid
making a mess of the repository.
Obvious fixes, like missing dependencies or faulty configuration
parameters can be fixed directly on trunk if they are well tested
locally and unlikely to cause regressions in other builds. More tricky
or larger fixes, like introducing new packages or upgrading major
versions of several interdependent packages at the same time can be done
in their own feature branches. Anybody with access to the repository can
test and review these changes. If the fix(es) are accepted the feature
branch is merged back into trunk and deleted. Creating merging and
deleting branches are cheap operations in subversion.