[Buildroot] Still no answer for a contribution -- "me too"

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Fri Jun 13 14:11:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:33:10PM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Personally I am using buildroot in a commercial product for my day
> > job. I am contributing everything that is relevant back to the
> > buildroot repository, but we have some changes specific to our
> > application and some proprietary packages which will never be merged.
> > We don't expect to be able to build our whole product directly from
> > the buildroot.uclibc.org repository.
>
> I think this is fairly common.
> That is why I proposed the "local" directory,
> where the location can be defined as a shell environment variable.
>
> BR2_LOCAL or something.
>
> By putting your packages here, you should be able to download
> a new svn and use it without modifications.
>
> It was a lot of protests at that time, and it was never fully implemented.
>
> The make saveconfig/getconfig uses the local directory.
>
> I think that it would be easy to expand to have packages in this directory as well.

I am using several boards defined in local/<project> already, this
system works very well for me.

So far we have added our proprietary packages in a new top-level
directory and editted the main makefiles to include it. I think it would
be useful to include this structure in vanilla buildroot though - I
prefer to minimise my changes to the standard makefiles.

I'd prefer not to mix my packages in with the existing local/ directory.
It could either be in a user-defined location as you suggest or just a
new vendor/ directory or similar.

Hamish