[Buildroot] Error:"Staging_dir/lib/libc.so.0: could not read symbols:file in wrong format" while "make" buildroot with xscale, gcc-4.2.3

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Apr 23 11:43:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:38:30PM +1000, Li Liang wrote:
> The same error message appeared again as following while I executed "make" after
> "make menuconfig"
>
> /home/user/workspace/MFSP/uCroot/buildroot/build_armeb/staging_dir/lib/libc.so.0:
> could not read symbols: File in wrong format
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So can you run "file" on the libc.so.0? It should say 32-bit ARM MSB.

> I am using the following packages to build the tool-chain:
>
> kernel 2.6.24
> uClibc 0.9.29
> binutils 2.18
> gcc 4.2.3

I'm using gcc 4.1.x here. I couldn't get 4.2.3 built successfully for
armeb, but that was months ago and it might be fixed by now. Also I'm
still using OABI rather than EABI because I couldn't get the latter
compiled either.

Unless you really need 4.2.x you could try the older version.

Hamish