[Buildroot] Failing NFS root mount

Guillaume Dargaud dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Wed Apr 23 08:06:00 UTC 2008

I'm going to test the others' suggestions right now, but I have a little
issue with this:

> /dev/log

It's the only device that was missing from my list.
I found several examples where the following line is added to
device_table.txt:

/dev/log s 666 0 0 - - - - -

But upon making the filesystem, I get the following error on that line:

$ make
[...]
table='target/generic/device_table.txt'
makedevs: line 59: Unsupported file type s

And indeed I don't see 's' (socket) listed among f/d/c/b/p

IIRC, /dev/log should be created by syslogd (but not other loggers) upon its
start.
I am indeed using syslog and I get a proper log in /tmp/messages. From the
busybox config:
CONFIG_FEATURE_SYSLOG=y
CONFIG_LOGNAME=y
CONFIG_SETLOGCONS=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_SYSLOG=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_SU_SYSLOG=y
CONFIG_SYSLOGD=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_ROTATE_LOGFILE=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_REMOTE_LOG=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_SYSLOGD_DUP=y
# CONFIG_FEATURE_IPC_SYSLOG is not set
CONFIG_FEATURE_IPC_SYSLOG_BUFFER_SIZE=
# CONFIG_LOGREAD is not set
# CONFIG_FEATURE_LOGREAD_REDUCED_LOCKING is not set
CONFIG_KLOGD=y
CONFIG_LOGGER=y
# CONFIG_SVLOGD is not set

So is /dev/log important or not ?