[Buildroot] Creating a bootable filesystem image?

Arun Reddy reddyac at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:58:49 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I was able to create a filesystem image and .iso using buildroot.

In experimenting with booting up the new kernel on a virtual machine
(VirtualBox), I found that I needed to convert my rootfs.i386.ext2
filesystem image to a .vdi file (using VirtualBox software).
I tried booting the .vdi alone, but unfortunately I encountered an immediate
error that stated "no bootable medium could be found." To get passed this
error, I mounted the .iso as well along with my .vdi file. Using some help
from the mailing list members, I got passed a few minor problems during
bootup, and got the kernel running with a shell.

With that milestone complete, I now want to avoid using both the .iso and
the harddisk (.vdi) together. I just want to be able to convert the
rootfs.i386.ext2 to a .vdi file and run that alone. The fact that this .vdi
cannot boot alone leads me to believe the filesystem that buildroot creates
for me is not bootable. (I may have missed an important part in my reading,
but either the filesystem absolutely needs an .iso to work, or it is used
for the user to chroot into it and boot from there).

My question is, does anyone know if there is a way to configure buildroot to
make rootfs.i386.ext2 bootable? Please note that I disabled RAMDISK in the
kernel .config before compiling buildroot because I don't need to use one.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Arun