[Buildroot] Compiled buildroot with iso, error during boot "can't open /dev/ttyX: No such device or address"

Arun Reddy reddyac at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 23:23:52 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I have compiled buildroot and created a .iso image that I am now trying to
use to boot a new kernel on VirtualBox. Unfortunately, during boot I am
given consistent errors saying:

can't open /dev/tty1: No such device or address or tty2, tty3, up to tty5.

I looked online and it seems that the reason this occurs is because I don't
have enough Virtual terminals to support all the users. The key lies in
populating /dev/tty, but I am wondering how I can do this in buildroot? Does
anyone know what I must set within Buildroot to avoid this problem, and then
recompile again to get a new iso image that will boot fine without any
problems?

Thank you in advance for your response.