[Buildroot] Flash for AT91RM9200

Hans-Christian Egtvedt hans-christian.egtvedt at atmel.com
Fri Apr 4 12:59:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:54 +0200, Jorge S. wrote:
> Hi Hans:
>
> Thanks for your urgent reply.
>
> What do you think about a combo solution?
>
> - SPI Dataflash for booting

Does not work for AVR32 devices, AVR32 AP700X only supports booting from
NOR flash. Will be changed in future devices though.

> - Some at least 128 MiB Flash for rootfs...

Seems sane, depends on your application. I guess GUI with tons of
graphics?

> Any known problem on the AVR32 world with big nand flashes?

I have heard one report on 2 GB NAND device being slow to mount, but
that may be kernel JFFS2 related and/or extreme slow once when writing
cleanmarkers problem.

Others report 1 GB being fast and nifty.

PS! I only work with AVR32 products, so I have little knowledge about
the ARM line. I guess Ulf can fill in the missing spots.

--
With kind regards,
Hans-Christian Egtvedt, Applications Engineer