[Buildroot] ARCH=ppc vs powerpc

Guillaume Dargaud dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Thu Apr 3 14:20:32 UTC 2008

> Guillaume> Deprecated or not, various info I have insist that I
> Guillaume> should use ARCH=ppc If I try:
>
> Guillaume> $ make ARCH=ppc KERNEL_ARCH=ppc
>
> That won't work as various other parts (E.G. kernel headers depends on
> KERNEL_ARCH=powerpc

So how is one supposed to understand the 'use the ARCH=ppc' branch for
Xilinx compilation ?!?

This morning I restarted from stratch to try to solve those ARCH vs
KERNEL_ARCH issues, and now I've figured out that I can't even compile
anything anymore (with the same .config files as before):

$ make ARCH=ppc
[...]
[...]

I'm...lost and confused.

> I normally don't compile my (ppc) kernels within buildroot. First
> create your rootfs and cross compiler with buildroot and then use it
> to compile the kernel manually (E.G. add
> build_powerpc/staging_dir/usr/bin to your path).

OK, I think that's the straw that broke the camel's back. After a totally
wasted month I'm gonna go do something else, like try OpenEmbedded or ELDK.

--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/