[Buildroot] ARCH=ppc vs powerpc

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Thu Apr 3 12:24:47 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Guillaume" == Guillaume Dargaud <dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr> writes:

 Guillaume> So, how does one go to compile for a Xilinx ppc ?

There's initial support in arch/powerpc for the ppc405 in the Xilinx
FPGAs - But yes, it's early days.

 Guillaume> Deprecated or not, various info I have insist that I
 Guillaume> should use ARCH=ppc If I try:

 Guillaume> $ make ARCH=ppc KERNEL_ARCH=ppc

That won't work as various other parts (E.G. kernel headers depends on
KERNEL_ARCH=powerpc

 Guillaume> Am I supposed to try and edit some of the makefile to get
 Guillaume> them to use ARCH=ppc for the kernel ? I can't believe I'm
 Guillaume> the first one to use buildroot on a Xilinx board, so what
 Guillaume> am I doing wrong...?  -- Guillaume Dargaud
 Guillaume> http://www.gdargaud.net/

I normally don't compile my (ppc) kernels within buildroot. First
create your rootfs and cross compiler with buildroot and then use it
to compile the kernel manually (E.G. add
build_powerpc/staging_dir/usr/bin to your path).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard