[Buildroot] Kernel Download Error with external toolchain

Clark Rawlins clark.rawlins at escient.com
Sat Sep 29 16:50:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 22:58 +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 04:49:06PM -0400, Clark Rawlins wrote:

> >> np. It wouldn't have really helped either way without a little love..
> >> Compiling a kernel with his external toolchain and setting the
> >> INST_MOD_PATH properly shouldn't be that hard.
> >
> >True, It is easy enough, I just hopped (based on the configuration
> >options) that this was supported.
> >
> >Here is the patch I am using to accomplish this.  It seems like it may
> >be a bit of a hack, but I couldn't see a better way to do it without
> >really diving in, so I am open to suggestions.

Let me rephrase to make sure I understand what you are saying.

> Well, it shouldn't be depending on the external stuff.
> There should be a knob that is settable in Config to set if
> kernel-headers-version == kernel-src-version (for TOOLCHAIN_SOURCE)
> or not.
You want a bool Config.in setting (BR2_BUILT_KERNEL_IS_HEADER_VERSION?)
dependent on BR2_PACKAGE_LINUX and !BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL that lets the
user choose if the kernel they build is the same as the kernel headers
version they chose and ...

> If not or if TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL then use the given kernel-src-version
> for building the kernel, keep using the kernel-headers-version for
> headers-install (including unpacking, patching, etc. Both will need
> this if kernel-headers-version != kernel-src-version, of course).
Expose a choice for BR2_LINUX26_VERSION dependent on either
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL or !BR2_BUILT_KERNEL_IS_HEADER_VERSION that
allows the user to choose which version of the kernel to build.

Then the makefiles need to setup LINUX26_VERSION and LINUX26_SOURCE when
BR2_LINUX26_VERSION is set so that the download target/linux/linux.mk
will get used to download the kernel source.

How close am I? :)