[Buildroot] Qtopia4 Failure

Adam Hawes adam at infocab.com.au
Mon Sep 24 03:55:13 UTC 2007

>    You are fixing newer, valid and good code in the name of legacy
> compatibility with a flawed work around for legacy API. The simple
> fact that there are more than one way around it doesn't make the patch
> the better way. And I think we should strive for the better way to fix
> things ;)

"Better" is such a subjective word.  Who defines what is better in their
particular instance?

> I'm not proposing to drop the workaround, but keeping the macro does
> break code as we are well aware. The above has no drawbacks that I can
> think of, and beats patching good code ;)

I agree that improving the legacy code which relies on index() is the
way to go, but there is a lot of it.  I don't have the time to patch
everything I come across.

At the moment the best solution for me and probably others is to fix the
one thing that doesn't work (qtopia) and move on, improving other things
as I get around to them.