[Buildroot] local mirror management (bug #572)

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 08:21:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 08:54:49AM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

>> >Exactly what problem are you trying to resolve?
>>
>> There is no point in having any atmel mirror in my .config unless i
>> build for at91 or avr32 and choose to use an atmel toolchain or atmel
>> patches.
>
>if/when it will mirror all the tarballs used by Buildroot
>it will be useful to everyone.
>I am lobbying for this to happen.

No, this is unacceptable. If you want to do stuff like that, look at the
"local mirror" patch in mantis (or the ML archives). See 1).

With the patch mentioned above, you (i.e. the user) is free to setup and
use any mirror she likes, be it the
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/buildroot-sources/
or another, potentially local directory (i.e. nothing you can talk to
via http or ftp).

We will not accept to rely on a random vendor's ftp collection, this is
conceptually broken since we have no influence on their ftp server and
the packages they may choose to have there or not.

1) http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=572
has a rough draft that IIRC needs some cleanup and that should be
discussed in it's cleaned up version on this list.