[Buildroot] Using pre-built BUILDROOT toolchain as externaltoolchain.

Leonid Leonid at a-k-a.net
Tue Oct 2 17:22:23 UTC 2007

Hi, Ulf:

I probably didn't make myself clear enough what I'm trying to achieve or/and don't know some buildroot configuration options. I submitted all buildroot files to version manager (I use perforce). I put there ONLY files which are not created as result of compilation:

Config.in  docs         local     netcfg-aeglos.sh  package  toolchain
configs    host.config  Makefile  netcfg.sh         target   uncfg.sh

I also submit to perforce contents of download directory to save building time.

When someone checks all stuff out, he will be using one of two preconfigured defconfig files:

1) FULL_defconfig - builds everything, including toolchain. This mode will be used only by system administrator once a while (when toolchain is modified). Results of compilation (toolchain only or entire buildroot directory) will be placed on the server in the place which is visible for other users.

2) FS_ONLY_defconfig - uses previously built buildroot toolchain somehow and builds only filesystem. In particular, "make clean" in this scenario doesn't touch toolchain at all.

It's not my requirement to use external toolchain but I thought that this is the simplest way to achieve my goal. However looks like it's not an easy thing to configure all parameters properly for external toolchain. May be external toolchain is overkill for my case - I don't need arbitrary toolchain, just buildroot's one. I only don't want "make" to build it and "make clean" to clean it.

What's simplest way to do this job?

Thanks,

Leonid.