[Buildroot] [buildroot 0001357]: EABI on ARM compiled buildroot doesn't work

bugs at busybox.net bugs at busybox.net
Sat May 19 19:28:09 UTC 2007

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=1357
Reported By:                marvin
Assigned To:                buildroot
Project:                    buildroot
Issue ID:                   1357
Category:                   Architecture Specific
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   block
Date Submitted:             05-18-2007 14:56 PDT
Last Modified:              05-19-2007 12:28 PDT
I compile latest buildroot with target ARM and EABI al without problems.
But when I boot to new root all programs crash with Illegal instruction. I
use default config only chose generic ARM and EABI.

 bernhardf - 05-18-07 15:15
Without *any* information, this is not a valid bug-report. Will close
unless you provide details.

 marvin - 05-18-07 15:51
Please tell me which information you need I spend time to gogling to solve
this but nothing helps. Do you need config ? Or information about hw ?

 repvik - 05-19-07 03:27
marvin... Try reading http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
first.

 rashbaugh - 05-19-07 07:01
When you build programs with an EABI toolchain, you must build your kernel
with EABI enabled also, otherwise programs will crash.
With EABI, program syscalls to the kernal use a different format and
unless
the kernel is prepared to accept this new format, syscalls will fail.

 marvin - 05-19-07 11:50
Yes I know it I compile kernel with EABI build in. I use
buildroot-20070519.tar.bz2 kernel 2.6.18 for ARM my machine is Debian
Etch.
I use buildroot 2 years with ARM and OABI without problem. Only difference
is that I in kernel switch to EABI and in buidroot too. And after this  it
stop work.
As HW I use TS-7250 (www.embeddedarm.com). I attach config of arm kernel.
Config of buldroot. If you know that EABI with buildroot is working on ARM
I stop
madden with this and try found my fault :-)

 rashbaugh - 05-19-07 12:28
The other thing EABI affecte is floating point. I see you are using HW
floating point. The EP9302 processor on that board has something called
'MaverickCrunch' as a floating point coprocessor. The cirrus website has a
bunch of errata around the use of that unit (stuff that doesn't work). Is
it compatible with EABI? You might check into that.
Also, where in the code do your applications fail? Have you debugged it at
all? What instruction types are failing?

Issue History
Date Modified   Username       Field                    Change
05-18-07 14:56  marvin         New Issue
05-18-07 14:56  marvin         Status                   new => assigned
05-18-07 14:56  marvin         Assigned To               => buildroot
05-18-07 15:15  bernhardf      Note Added: 0002375
05-18-07 15:51  marvin         Note Added: 0002377
05-19-07 03:27  repvik         Note Added: 0002379
05-19-07 07:01  rashbaugh      Note Added: 0002380
05-19-07 11:50  marvin         Note Added: 0002381
05-19-07 11:51  marvin         File Added: config_buildroot_EABI

05-19-07 11:52  marvin         File Added: config_kernel_eabi

05-19-07 12:28  rashbaugh      Note Added: 0002382