[Buildroot] [buildroot 0001282]: ccache

bugs at busybox.net bugs at busybox.net
Tue Jun 26 04:13:43 UTC 2007

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=1282
Reported By:                Franck78
Assigned To:                buildroot
Project:                    buildroot
Issue ID:                   1282
Category:                   Architecture Specific
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             03-21-2007 11:56 PDT
Last Modified:              06-25-2007 21:13 PDT
Hello,

1) ccache is built at the end of the toolchain (gcc/uclibc/binutils). It
serves for nothing (ok I except if you slected other package it may...).

2) the ccache_dir is fixed inside 'toolchain_build_i486' It would be
better if the  CCACHE_DIR could be setup somewhere else outside
'buildroot'.
Why? In automated procedure constructing distro, buildroot.tar.gz is
expanded then configured then built as all other packages making the
distro.
It means everytime, buildroot dir is like a virgin.. ;-) No ccache_dir
inside.

but if ccache_dir is outside....ok, it will be preserved accross rebuilds
and the final touch would have ccache used for ALL the toolchain
construction...!

Adding a new option in 'make menuconfig' is beyond my knowledge of
buildroot for now.

Franck

 bernhardf - 06-25-07 11:02
Although i don't understand a word, i think that this sounds like "Doctor,
it hurts when i do.."

Please describe the problem you are facing and suggest what should be done
why and how, i shall close this bug otherwise.

 Franck78 - 06-25-07 11:38
Ok,
A distro is something more complete than buildroot alone. The buildroot
package is only 'one step among others'. The full build can follow some
method like lfs (linux from scratch).
Having ccache dir outside of the tree build avoid loosing what have been
already compiled when some kind of full rebuild of the distro is
performed. In other words, the cachedir is in a safe configurable place.

tchuss.

 chickenandporn - 06-25-07 21:13
It seems the request is:

Add a Config.in/Kconfig option for user-specified CCACHE_DIR defaulting to
current value

This is within my ability, but I don't have a ccache build working (I'm
broken with MacOSX right now).  I will contact submitter.

Issue History
Date Modified   Username       Field                    Change
03-21-07 11:56  Franck78       New Issue
03-21-07 11:56  Franck78       Status                   new => assigned
03-21-07 11:56  Franck78       Assigned To               => buildroot
06-25-07 11:02  bernhardf      Note Added: 0002507
06-25-07 11:38  Franck78       Note Added: 0002513
06-25-07 21:13  chickenandporn Note Added: 0002515