[Buildroot] This linker was not configured to use sysroots

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 11:24:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:45:34AM +0100, Nuno da Costa Ferro wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm getting this error while compiling 'fontconfig':
>make[4]: Entering directory
>`/build/firmware/buildroot/build_arm/fontconfig-2.4.2/fc-case'
>/usr/bin/gcc  -Os -pipe  -I/build/firmware/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/usr/include
> --sysroot=/build/firmware/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/ -isysroot
>/build/firmware/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir   -L/build/firmware/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/lib
> -L/build/firmware/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/usr/lib -o fc-case
>fc-case.o
>
>/usr/bin/ld: this linker was not configured to use sysroots

IIRC this fc-case is ment to be run on the host (to create some stuff).
Last time i looked, fontconfig was utterly broken for cross-compiling.

I suggests you add -march=armv5 (or any arm* that matches your target)
to your BR2_TARGET_OPTIMIZATION, this will make it very, very clear
which packages are broken (are and also were even before the sysroot
support).

>What do I need to do in order to fix this?

fix fontconfig upstream so it can properly be cross-compiled, i.e. so
that it uses CC_FOR_BUILD CFLAGS_FOR_BUILD when creating binaries ment
to be run on the host, and CC/CFLAGS for stuff that is cross-compiled.