[Buildroot] Patch: makefile debugging help

Julien Letessier julien.letessier at technosens.fr
Wed Jun 20 10:02:48 UTC 2007

Hi list,

One very small patch to the main Makefile:

Two new targets, show-var and print-var, can help one to debug package
makefiles.
[credit: inspired by my days with the pkgsrc team at NetBSD]

Example:

$ make show-var VARNAME=GENEXT2_DIR
GENEXT2_DIR expands to     /home/mezis/buildroot/build_i686/genext2fs-1.4
GENEXT2_DIR is defined as  $(BUILD_DIR)/genext2fs-$(GENEXT2_VERSION)

$ make print-var VARNAME=GENEXT2_DIR
/home/mezis/buildroot/build_i686/genext2fs-1.4

Very basic but saves me a lot of time...
Also allows me to use build automation tools that run make and
check/install the resulting image.

Hope this helps
--
Julien Letessier