[Buildroot] Qtopia4 fails building - target stage tries to run target binaries on build machine

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:43:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 01:58:45PM +0200, Hans-Christian Egtvedt wrote:
>I am trying to look into how to "fix" Qtopia 4 in Buildroot, at least it
>does not compile for me (snapshot 20070717).
>
>The makefile seems to generate target specific binaries in build_<arch>
>directory, and host specific binaries in toolchain_build_<arch>.
>
>As I understand the toolchain_build_<arch> binaries should be installed
>to $(STAGING_DIR) and the build_<arch> binaries should be installed to
>$(TARGET_ROOT)?

I don't think that this is an accurate description.

The staging_dir is holding intermediate files (headers, libraries) that
are prerequisites of other packages.
The target_dir is the final root filesystem. The target_dir will usually
not contain headers nor intermediate libraries (.ar archives or
intermediate libs) that are not needed on the target.
Helper applications that are ment to be run on the host are compiled in
&lt;packagename&gt;-host while cross-compiled packages, libraries,
binaries are compiled in &lt;packagename&gt;.
The host-binaries will either be ran directly in the place they were
compile or will be installed into toolchain_build_ARCH/bin .
Applications that are ment to be run on the host but have prerequisites
that are built in buildroot shall use the &lt;packagename&gt;-host
directories for the prerequisite libraries, if possible (e.g.
<code>--with-gettext=/there/toolchain_build_i386/gettext-0.00-host</code>
)
If a prerequisite host-library has to be installed before it can be
used, then it should be installed into target_dir_ARCH/packagename
(e.g. libgmp which is needed for the cross-compiler:
--with-gmp=/there/toolchain_build_i386/gmp).

>Have I understood the build setup correctly?

See
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/buildroot.html
and look for "staging_dir"

Perhaps somebody will flesh out the above and add it to the
abovementioned URL (don't have time ATM).

HTH,