[Buildroot] Install to /lib usr /usr/lib ?

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Thu Jul 12 16:38:55 UTC 2007

tor 2007-07-12 klockan 17:48 +0200 skrev Julien Letessier:
> Dear buildroot maintainers,
>
> For the relative newcomer I am, there seems to be a lot of
> inconsistency in buildroot for package installation directories.
>
> From what I undrestand, the policy is to install packages:
> * under $(STAGING_DIR)/{bin,lib,include} and $(STAGING_DIR)/{bin,lib}
> for the toolchain (e.g. uclibc)
> * under $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/{bin,lib,include} and
> $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/{bin,lib} for other packages (e.g. gtk)

As I interpret things,
Only host tools should be installed in $(STAGING_DIR)

Target tools gets installed somewhere in $(TARGET_DIR) which
now is defined to be project_build_ARCH/$(PROJECT)/root

> Is this correct?
>
> If so, we have a problem.
> Half the of the package/*/*.mk use one option, half use the other.
> As I "svn uped" today, the fontconfig package I had a hard time
> patching broke, because expat decided AGAIN to install directly under
> /lib.
>
> Please, please establish a clear policy on this, so we can start
> submiting patches

I think that /usr/bin/X11 might be the right directory to
use, at least for your X11R7 stuff.

I would check where the package is located on my normal linux host
and select the same install dir for the buildroot target.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson