[Buildroot] "toolchain/patch-kernel.sh" => $(APPLY)

Steven J. Hill sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Thu Jul 12 13:51:19 UTC 2007

> Today most packages uses the patch-kernel.sh script in toolchain.
> Should this really be hardwired.
> Is it OK to create a symbolic variable.
>
> APPLY:=toolchain/patch-kernel.sh

Why? Can you explain what is lacking with this script that you are
suggesting adding another variable to track through the build system?

> Also, I would like to see a "script" directory.
> "patch-kernel.sh" is then moved here and
> "depmod.pl" maybe belongs as well in this instead of in
> target/device/x86.

I suppose a 'toolchain/scripts' directory would be okay. I do
question the need for 'depmod.pl' at all. Doesn't the target
'cross-depmod26' create the depmod that does the same thing?

-Steve