[Buildroot] linux-2.6.21.5-003-atmel.1-avr32-updates.patchfailes

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Wed Aug 1 06:20:01 UTC 2007

>> Conflicts between linux-2.6.21.5-002-lzma-vmlinuz.01.patch and
>> linux-2.6.21.5-003-atmel.1-avr32-updates.patch?
>
> Questions:
>
> Is it really necessary to apply these patches? Even though .config shows?
>
> # BR2_PACKAGE_LZMA_TARGET is not set
> # BR2_PACKAGE_LZMA_HOST is not set
> # BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2_LZMA is not set
> # BR2_avr32 is not set
> # BR2_TOOLCHAIN_ATMEL_AVR32 is not set
>
> Wouldn't it be a good idea for each successfully applied patch to have a
> target and a prequisite?
>
> <patch name>: <patch name>.done
>
> so that, if a patch fails and is fixed on the spot, remake skipps the
> already applied patches?

We are currently discussing the mess with separate patch strategies
for the kernel headers and the linux build.
I proposed that both the kernel-headers and the linux should use the same patch directories.
This is only the case, if the kernel-headers and the linux version are the same today.

A long term approach could be to keep the kernel-headers for pre 2.6.19 kernels only
and build the headers in the target/linux directory, with patches
divided into groups of patches which are or are not applied depending on
menu configurations.

Typically you would have
"core" patches              - always applied
"architecture" patches   - always applied if an architecture is selected
"board" patches            -  conditionally applied through a choice.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson