[Buildroot] First Step in allowing Static / shared library choice

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:43:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 09:39:28AM -0800, Daniel Laird wrote:

>Bernhard Fischer-6 wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:18:08AM -0800, Daniel Laird wrote:
>>>
>>>Following on from my question of 'how do we deal with shared and static
>>>builds"
>>>I enclose the following patch.
>>>This is for the top level Config.in
>>>It will appear under Build options
>>>this means that the variables BR2_STATIC_LIBS and BR2_SHARED_LIBS are
>>>available.
>>>
>>>Once this patch is in we can start to modify packages to use this
>>>information. (no packages modified yet)
>>
>> Sounds good.
>>
>> Can you please also add $(BR2_ENABLE_SHARED) rsp. $(BR2_ENABLE_STATIC)
>> variables (and the corresponding DISABLE) that get passed to
>> TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS (spelling?) to toolchain/Makefile.in or an
>> appropriate place?
>>
>> TIA,

>I agree that I could do this.  However I  decided that you might want the
>toolchain to be built staticly but your packages not.
>I could therefore add a separate set of options to Toolchain options
>maybe BR2_TOOLCHAIN_STATIC_LIBS etc as i think these options should be
>different to the package options
>what do you think

TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS get _only_ passed to target packages, be they
you-name-it package or a native compiler. Distinguishing between a
native compiler with shared lib support and the rest of the system being
static (and likely not having ld support due to this) doesn't sound like
we want to have it for a first take, ok?