[Buildroot] Buildroot and Linux/ARM on AT91SAM9260

Ryan Ordway rordway at oregonstate.edu
Mon Dec 17 23:24:05 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Ryan Ordway wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Ivan Kuten wrote:
>

>>> Of course, I can't get a 2.6.23 kernel to even boot at all, but that
>>> may be the same toolchain issues. My 2.6.21.6 kernel seems to be
>>> working ok
>>
>> As I understood 2.6.23 is not bootable at all? Is it differs by size
>> from 2.6.21.6 built by
>> correct toolchain?
>>
>> I have not bootable 2.6.23 kernel image of 4MB built by svn
>> toolchain and
>> the same kernel built by toolchain of 1O Oct 2007 is ok and is only
>> 1.2MB
>>
>> May be 2.18 binutils used in svn buildroot has some issues.
>>
>> Definitely svn ARM buildroot has some issues. Need to investigate
>> more.
>

> Correct. My 2.6.21.6 kernel is about 1.1MB. My 2.6.23.9 kernel is >
> 4MB. I get the "Uncompressing Linux....." etc. then a few gibberish
> characters and then it freezes. I'm assuming something is wacky about
> that particular toolchain combination. I'll try using binutils 2.17
> and see if that helps.

Oh, and the build that I have working thus far is:

svn snapshot from 05/21/2007 + Atmel patches from Ulf
gcc 4.0.4
binutils 2.17
uClibc 0.9.28.3
kernel 2.6.21.6 + atmel patches for 2.6.21
EABI

This has been working great for me since May/June, but I want to start
working towards uClibc 0.9.29 and/or the most recent snapshots once
the ARM NPTL stuff hits trunk. I've been having some weird threading
problems using LinuxThreads.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Ordway                           E-mail: rordway at oregonstate.edu
Unix Systems Administrator               rordway at library.oregonstate.edu
OSU Libraries, Corvallis, OR 97331    Office: Valley Library #4657